Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Not that the above dresses are not gorgeous. But they are, perhaps, not for everyone? And if, like us, you've heard the word sparkle one too many times this holiday season, here are a few out-of-the-ordinary ideas for not looking like every other sequin-dress-outfitted woman in the room on New Year's Eve. From over-the-top headbands to velvet Docs to red jumpsuits, these unique and festive options will have you ringing in the New Year to the beat of your own drum. Though we do encourage rousing group renditions of Auld Lang Syne whenever possible.
- You'll stand out in a sea of sequins, and that ain't easy. Shakuhachi Cosmosis lace party dress, $289, available at Mira Mira in the Mission.
- White sequin gloves pretty much scream NYE. $360 at Circle & Square in Presidio Heights
- Earth friendly + statement-making. Leather upcycled tassel necklace, $32 from Spunk Vintage on Etsy
- Wear this with a tattered tee and you'll be the coolest girl in the room. Jarlo Liza Blazer $168 at Bell Jar in the Mission
- A casual NYE doesn't have to be sartorially boring. Rachel Comey shawl-collar cardi, $472 at McMullen in Piedmont
- Bring the bling in a whole new way. Shourouk Gayatri headband, $595, similar available at La Boutique: L'Art et La Mode in Jackson Square
- Low key and fully festive. Velvet Dr. Martens, $140 at Dr. Martens in the Haight
- Attention-getting sans sparkle. Shona Joy the Adorned Printed Pant, $220 at Acrimony in Hayes Valley
- Sheer, sexy, and super versatile. Ali black lace blouse, $69 at Weston Wear in the Mission
- When else will you wear a red jumpsuit? Escada Thaya red jumpsuit, $690 (extra 40%