Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Here at Racked, we're dedicating this week to the kind of fantastical shopping that most of us only get to experience in dreams (or at 80%-off sample sales). Taking a page from casino parlance, we'll be talking a lot about "whales," those big spenders who feel perfectly comfortable dropping tens of thousands of dollars every night on roulette, or, in our case, on Cartier. Welcome to Whale Week 2013.
Image via Flickriver
In 2008, San Francisco's beloved Cody's Books was replaced by a Ferrari Store. It could be that someone thought: "What can we put here that is completely opposite an independent bookstore?" A Ferrari Store full of race car merchandise seems to be the correct answer.
But, truth be told, the boutique probably fits in better with its neighbors than Cody's did, with Barneys just a couple doors down, and Armani Exchange and Ben Sherman across the street. Plus, plenty of folks are thrilled to buy a $60 Ferrari baseball cap. There's a cool model car in the window, and they sell cute bikes and other merch for kids.
But when festooned with a Ferrari label, these items don't come cheap. Here are nine items that if you happen to be a diehard Ferrari fan, you might be willing to shell out for. Ferrari tricycle, anyone?
- FXX racers exclusive pedal go-kart, $2,300
- Child's trolley and backpack, $105
- 150th anniversary racing red jumbo, $540
- Horse V-neck women's jersey sweater, $250
- Scuderia romper, $80
- Ferrari child's jacket in techno fabric, $320
- Gear knob silver cufflinks, $400
- Scuderia Spider surf board, $1,700
- Vintage umbrella, $150
· The Nine Most Luxurious Spas in San Francisco [Racked SF]
· The Surprising Truth About Folks Who Splurge on Mink Eyelashes [Racked SF]
· 13 Places in San Francisco Where You Can Spend It All [Racked SF]