Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Maybe you have Gwyneth Paltrow-esque super powers that help you to resist the temptation of three types of pie at Thanksgiving, but some of us are mere mortals. Some of us need to bank a little extra exercise to offset the holiday. And the real go-getters start burning those calories before they even sit down for dinner. If you're looking for a pre-feast sweatfest, here are 8 local studios that are open on Thanksgiving.
1. CardioBarre, 61 Gough Street. A relative newcomer to San Francisco, CardioBarre has long been a celebrity favorite in Los Angeles with clients ranging from Dakota Fanning to Ashlee Simpson. The studio specializes in high energy, no impact classes combining barre work and light weights. Intrigued? Take the 9:30am Thanksgiving Day class for a special $10 drop-in rate. (Better yet, first-timers can take the class for free!) Sign up here.
2. Cardio-Tone, 3904 24th Street. This Noe Valley studio — which typically offers Spin and TRX sessions — is hosting three special Thanksgiving-themed classes. At 8am, there's the 60-minute traditional Thanksgiving ride, followed by the 75-minute Turducken ride at 9am and the 45-minute vegan-Thanksgiving class at 10:15am. There's currently a waitlist for the Turducken ride, but bikes are available for the remaining classes. Sign up for class, $15, here.
3. CrossFit, 1162A Gorgas Avenue. Is anyone surprised that CrossFit is open on Thanksgiving? Anyone? If you're ready to jump, lift, run, and throw your way through the holidays, you can start with a 9am Level 1 class. CrossFit will also hold a 4pm Level 1 class (for the post-lunch crowd) and a 7:30pm Olympic Lifting Club session. Sign up for a single session, $25, here.
4. The Dailey Method, 1853 Market Street and 2399 Greenwich Street. There are two San Francisco studios open for business on Thanksgiving morning where you can practice the Dailey Method's popular barre-core-yoga combo. In Cow Hollow, there will be one class at 9am. At the Mission-Castro location, there will be four classes: 8:30am, 9:45am, 11:00am and 12:15pm. Classes are $22. Sign up here.
5. SoulCycle. Locations in San Francisco, Marin, and Palo Alto. All three Bay Area SoulCycle locations will have modified class schedules on Thanksgiving Day. While there may be fewer offerings, SoulCycle will up the fitness ante with 90-minute Turkey Burn classes in addition to the standard 45-minute classes. Regular classes are $30, Turkey Burns are $60. If you want to kick off Thanksgiving with a big, sweaty dance party, be ready to sign up on Monday at noon.
6. StudioMix, 1000 Van Ness, 3rd Floor. This Tenderloin gym is holding four Thanksgiving classes: Tabata Cross circuit training at 8:30am, a 90-minute endurance ride spin-a-thon at 9:30am, Sweat Box boxing at 10am, and Vinyasa Flow yoga at 11am. Day passes at $20, but your first class is free. Sign up for classes here.
7. TRX Training Center, 1650 Pacific Avenue. Russian Hill's TRX Training Center is the go-to place for hard-core suspension-training fans, and it's open on Thanksgiving for four classes: Circuit Training at 8:30am and 10:15am, Body Blast at 9am, and Straps and Sticks at 9:45am. A single class pass is $25. Sign up for class here.
8. Yoga Tree Various locations. The Bay Area's Yoga Tree studios will help you put the thanks in Thanksgiving with an abbreviated class schedule. The earliest class starts at 7:30am (in Corte Madera), and the latest classes (at the Valencia and Hayes locations) start at 12:15pm. Class prices vary between $12 and $18. Sign up here.
· The Yoga Mat That Will Outlive You [Racked]
· Avant Barre Will Get You Lean in Time for the Holidays [Racked]
· SoulCycle Brings the Tap Back to SF on Saturday [Racked]