Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Men are difficult to buy for no matter what the occasion, but Valentine's Day might be the most intimidating time for gift-giving—so much pressure not to scare the guy, especially if it's a new relationship. And if it's a well-worn affair, you want to bestow something he'll actually use and make him remember how much he digs you.
Here are some ideas from our favorite San Francisco retailers that are stylish, unique, and useful. Also: Valentines' Day is just two days away (in case you didn't notice!), but don't worry, you can acquire these gifts within city limits—no need to bite your nails waiting for shipping.
- St. James striped shirt, $95 at General Store; we think red is perfect for the occassion
- Herschel Supply Co. Anchor iPad sleeve, $60 at Azalea; form and function
- Red Rock Canyon wild harvested organic soap, $10 at Unionmade; real men smell yummy
- Leather gloves linked with Scottish pine green cashmere, $196 at Freeman's Sporting Club; keep those digits warm when you're not there to do the job
- SF-made Marin cap, $50 at Mollusk Surf Shop; somehow macho and adorable at the same time
- Salmon long-sleeved oxford, $75 at Brooklyn Circus; real men wear pink
- Opinel bread knife, $40 at Gravel & Gold; a man needs a good knife
· Valentine's Day Gifts To Keep Your Sweetheart Warm and Sparkly [Racked SF]
· Seven of San Francisco's Best Sex Shops [Racked SF]
· Banana Republic Wants To Help SFers Fall in Love [Racked SF]