Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
San Franciscans share many passions, and being fit and saving money are both high on the list. We know our shopping habits can occasionally lend way to excess spending (if you blew your gym money at any of these stores, we understand the temptation). Lucky for us, SF offers a plethora of free (or under $5/donation-based) fitness activities. Reclaim control of both your wallet and your waistline with the activities below.
Yoga: Any devoted yogi will say strength and flexibility come with repeated practice. Fortunately there are as many free yoga classes in SF as there are French Bulldogs, so you can get your Namaste on nearly every day of the week.
1. Try Lombardi Sports sun-drenched rooftop class on Sunday mornings
2. Grace Cathedral's awe-inspiring Tuesday evening session happens in the labyrinth
3. Sports Basement Bryant Street offers slackline yoga (killer core workout) the first Monday of every month.
4. If you prefer to kick up your cardio on wheels, the San Francisco Bike Party meets on the first Friday of every month at 8pm, encouraging positivity, respect and fun. Expect to stop along the way for dance parties and socializing.
5. In the mood for serious adventure? SF Midnight Mystery Ride meets the third Saturday of each month at midnight (location declared the day of event), and takes riders through themed tours of the city. Truly a San Francisco experience not to be missed.
6. Jonseing to hit the pavement? Join the pack at Lululemon in Union Square on Thursdays at 6:15pm, or at their Cow Hollow location on Sundays at 9pm.
7. For a change of scenery head to Sports Basement in the Presidio Tuesdays at 6:30pm, or to the Bryant Street location Wednesdays at 6:30pm. Runners of all levels are welcome, and different routes are available depending on what distance you're comfortable with.
8. For those hoping to blow off steam, look no further than Dolores Park's bash every other Saturday afternoon. This donation-based fête incorporates hoop dancing, Kundalini deep yoga and acoustic jamming to de-stress your mind.
9. Feeling competitive? For $4, join the SF kickball group, which holds matches twice a month.
10. Climbers will rejoice in Lombardi Sport's free rock wall climbing class, which takes place indoors the first Thursday of every month at 6pm.
--by Anné Jude Kiesow
· The Perfect Sports Bra [Racked]
· Dance Your Butt Off for $5 [Racked]
· SF's Best Fitness Stores [Racked]