Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
With Mother's Day rapidly approaching this Sunday (yup, it's almost May 12 already), it's time to nail the perfect present for the number one woman in your life. Show her the love with a gift guaranteed to make her feel beautiful, that was crafted right here in the Bay. These five beauty brands are local, ethical (no animal testing on this list!) and effective.
1. Marie Veronique Organics is dedicated to sustainability, and that seems to only improve the quality of the brand's products. MVO face serums are legendary for their light feel, youthifying effects and sun protection. For Mother's Day, get a free 1/4-oz Pacific Face Serum when you spend more than $100. Get the deal in store at 29 Miller Avenue in Mill Valley, or online using code MOMDAY through May 15.
2. Beautisol: Mom knows better by now than to bake in the sun, so help her get glowing skin the natural, sunless way with Beautisol, a self-tanning and skincare line founded in San Francisco. Focused on anti-aging (goodbye, harsh UV rays!), all Beautisol products are paraben free, propylene glycol-free, sodium laureth/laurel sulfate-free, and PETA certified. Bonus: Save $60 with their Mother's Day special when you buy their Summer Glow, Eye Want and Bright Eyed.
3. The Balm: Perk up mom's makeup routine with cheeky products from The Balm Cosmetics. Created right here in San Francisco, The Balm is a paraben-free, cruelty-free line dabbling in haircare, nail polish and their signature makeup. With adorable packaging and helpful online tutorials, this brand will bring out mom's sassy side with products like the Balm Jovi rockstar face palette (which we're also eyeing for ourselves).
4. Sprout: Celebrating mom's first Mother's Day? Look no further than Sprout, an SF-based company specializing in natural baby products. While gifts for babies abound, there's also a selection just for new moms with creams, oils, diaper bags and beyond. Their extensive inventory abides by strict criteria: natural/organic materials and ingredients, zero toxic ingredients. Don't miss the genius Chewbeads and bangles.
5. Elizabeth W: Indulge Mom with luxurious and delicious-smelling bath and body products from Elizabeth W, a beauty brand located in Ghiradelli Square. Known for its vast selection of fragrances, Elizabeth W provides every bath option imaginable. Lotions, creams, bubble baths, soaps, perfumes and more line the shelves (and their website) in a variety of sophisticated scents, from lavender to leaves to lilac.
--by Anne Jude Kiesow
· All Beauty Posts [Racked SF]