Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Not that we didn't already know it, but compiling a list of "inexpensive wedding venues" made it 100% clear that it's not cheap to get hitched in San Francisco. So we weren't at all surprised that so many local brides who've been there and done that had tons of excellent suggestions for creating a unique and affordable SF wedding by getting their DIY on. Their advice? Study many wedding magazines and enlist as many friends as possible. With some careful planning and a good supply of elbow grease, you can make your own centerpieces, find a second hand wedding dress and even make your own bridal bouquet. The result will be a wedding that's unlike anyone else's and fully expresses the personality of you and your betrothed. Below is list of vendors that will help make your ideal DIY wedding day come to true.
- Make an appointment at Encore Bridal’s showroom to peruse consignment racks full of designer wedding dresses: 391 Sutter St. #205 San Francisco, CA 94108. Photo by Madison Dyer
- For the thriftier bride, find a dress in Etsy's local section.
- Start hoarding wedding magazines and clipping images of your favorite floral arrangements. Buy wholesale flowers and head over to the SF Flower Mart: 640 Brannan St, San Francisco, CA 94107, or head to
- Design your own centerpieces and wedding favors by visiting the local craft store, Fantastico. Photo by Madison Dyer
- Want to craft a nature inspired alter or give your wedding a vintage look? Check out the dried flowers and preserved botanicals at COAST Wholesale Florist: 149 Morris Street San Francisco, CA 94107. Pho
- Custom design your own wedding invitation with expert printers, The Aerialist Press: 1514 Park Avenue Emeryville, California 94608. Photo by Madison Dyer
- Pass on overpriced jewelry. Instead visit Love & Luxe to design your own wedding band or find exceptional rings from independent jewelry designers: 1169 Valencia Street San Francisco, CA 94110. Photo by
- Make your own flower crown! Check out our how-to. Photo by Aubrie Pick