Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The idea that an engagement ring should cost three months salary is not only passé, but for Bay Area residents would result in the kind of enormous rock that might send a girl's heart racing, either with excitement or fear of wearing such a gem in public. Not everyone likes that much bling, and not everyone has three months rent to spare, especially after paying three months of rent in San Francisco.
Luckily, we've got plenty of local jewelry makers and sellers who can hook up a bride and groom on a budget. We've rounded up five San Francisco rings, each splendidly original and priced at less than $1000. Some even bring their fair share of bling. Ready to put a ring on it? —Anne Jude Kiesow
- Fiat Lux: This Castro shop boasts handmade goodies of all sorts, though the ah-mazing jewelry takes center stage. Their “$1000 Diamond Ring” is popular with the ‘girl power’ crowd, and they also carry a range of bands starting around $700. This Daisy San
- Sarah Swell: For a simple, traditional approach, look no further than Swell’s Carved Feather ring. Available by special order, choose from yellow or white gold; from $675.
- Rare Earth: Sold exclusively on Etsy, this SF artist focuses on ethically sourced and responsibly-crafted bridal jewelry. Her recycled metals and bright, (conflict free!) gems start around $300. This jaw-dropping rose gold White Topaz goes for $465
- Gallery of Jewels: This San Francisco mainstay has three locations and something for every budget. The whimsical rose gold Princess Diamond goes for an impressive $789.
- Colleen Mauer Designs: Locally-crafted CMD jewels are individually made with love by Colleen herself. Check out these thick individual bands for $64 each. Add-on option: signature stackable rings make a great anniversary gift.
· Fiat Lux Owners Talk Selling Diamonds and Goat Hammers [Racked SF]
· The Eleven Best Jewelry Shopping Experiences in SF [Racked SF]
· All Weddings Week posts [Racked SF]