Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
During Outside Lands this past weekend, we took a quick break from watching performers, stuffing our faces with tacos and po' boys, and frequenting Wine Lands to have a chat with Kelsey Kopecky, the co-lead singer of the Kopecky Family Band. The Nashville resident was wearing such an amazing vintage leopard print jumpsuit that we had to snap a few photos and interrogate her about her style and beauty secrets.
Here are eight things we learned:
1. She does her own makeup, and Aquphor Lip Repair is her favorite lip gloss.
2. The jumpsuit is from her friend's shop, Local Honey in Nashville. He calls her when the good stuff comes in. It's in the same spot where Karen Elson had a vintage store previously.
3. For her recent Leno appearance, she wore her magic dress. See it in action below. Her on-stage garb, she says, needs to make her feel like she's in her "home office," which this one totally does.
4. An on-stage wardrobe malfunction had the straps of a dress falling down repeatedly, exposing more than felt comfortable. She continued on and her manager says she pulled it off with poise.
5. She first fell in love with music rollerskating to her Dad's Bruce Springsteen in the garage.
6. The first time she saw a video of Janis Joplin performing, she knew she wanted to become a singer. She remembers saying: "Grandma! What is this?!" And later: "I want to do that."
7. She developed her chops after moving from to Nashville for school. Being surrounded on all sides my amazingly talented musicians was the perfect incubator for her talent.
8. Nashville is also where she met Gabe Siimon and started playing music with him. She says she "felt like she was alone" with him. She could get to that flow place with someone else for the first time ever.
The result is a super-fun band Fleetwood-Mac-ish (right down to Kopecky's sartorial style) band that drew an enthusiastic crown this past weekend at Outside Lands. If you're lucky enough to be in San Diego, check them out tonight at the Soda Bar, and on the August 19 they'll be in Denver at the Larimer Lounge—and they're playing all over the country for the rest of the summer!
· Kopecky Family Band [Official Site]
· Outside Lands [Official Site]
· What's Your Favorite Song? [Racked SF]