Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Nile Rodgers in all his white-suited glory.
- Gold pants FTW.
- We're loving the white off-shoulder dress.
- The crowd for Chic got bigger with each song they played.
- Willie Nelson wins for best guitar strap and most f'd up guitar.
- His hat is also pretty great.
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend sports Breton stripes.
- Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails embraced the '90s trend with a mock turtleneck.
- Kristian Matsson, The Tallest Man on Earth, paired a pretty orange guitar with a multicolor sweater.
- Anthony Kiedes also went back to the '90s with a long-sleeved tee under a short-sleeved one.
- Kiedis apparently could not decide between long and short pants...
- ... so he went with both.
- The tube socks are the pièce de résistance.
- Karen O was characteristically over the top.
- Is the look better with or without the gold crown and red-with-stars scarf?
- Hall & Oates in a motorcycle jacket and a bright '80s-esque button up, respectively.
We're always looking to musical performers for style inspiration, and this year at Outside Lands 2013 we got a special treat. Seventies sensation Chic with front man Nile Rodgers took over for D'Angelo, who was sick (get well soon!). Chic is legendary for a slew of disco singles that have stood the test of time: Le Freak, Good Times, and Everybody Dance among them. And Rodgers has been making waves of late with his infectious guitar riff in 2013 summer anthem Get Lucky, which he also produced. The man is a legendary producer, having worked with David Bowie, Madonna (Like a Virgin), Diana Ross and Duran Duran, and he's showing no signs of slowing down. Look for more upcoming collaborations with British duo Chase & Status, Swedish band Avincii and German DJ Tensnake.
Chic and their shimmering white outfits were the talk of the fest—they appealed equally to youngsters who loved their retro vibe and oldsters traveling down memory lane. If you need a refresher, check out the Rodgers-produced The Chic Organization Up All Night compilation album. See them in action plus more stylish performers in our gallery by Jaime Fernandez, including the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Hall & Oates, Willie Nelson and more.
· 8 Things We Learned About Kelsey Kopecky at Outside Lands [Racked SF]
· Favorite Songs + Street Style Pics From Outside Lands 2013 [Racked SF]
· Outside Lands [Official Site]