Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Racked's Fitness Week: five days of workout coverage, so that you can start your New Year's resolutions off right.
These workouts cray
San Franciscans like their fitness, and they don't like to be bored. The combination makes for some extremely creative ways to get your sweat on. Here, we've gathered some of SF's most out-there ways to get a workout—some might sound fun, some might sound like your worst nightmare.
- Circus Center—San Francisco’s circus school at 755 Frederick Street is likely the only establishment in the city where you’ll find “juggling, teeterboard, wire-walking... and anything in the air, upside down,backwards, and seemingly impossible” on
- Team in Training for Ultramarathons—The Leukemia Society’s running and fund raising program is ubiquitous on San Francisco’s parks, and we tend to think of those folks as semi-serious runners who will mayb
- Michael the Boxer—Apparently tech execs who sit in office chairs in SOMA for hours on end work up some angst. And they go to the Michael the Boxer at 3255 A Third Street to get it all out. He offers yogabox
- Naked Yoga for Men—Several times per week, upstairs in the Sun Room at 2390 Mission Street, a group of naked men are practicing yoga. But before you jump to conclusions, the instructors emphasize that it’s a strictly non-sexual environment. Being n
- Informed Technique—If you’ve ever thought becoming a marionette for a little while might be fun, Informed Technique is for you. The Pilates and ballet-inspired fitness class uses custom suspension system with s
- On Board Yoga—If yoga on the boring old solid ground is feeling a bit too routine lately, Islena Faircrest teaches yoga on standup paddle boards, also known as SUPs, in the Pillar Point Harbor near Mavericks. Do
· All Fitness Week Posts [Racked SF]