Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Spring Forward: over the next six weeks, we'll be profiling the best new arrivals and trends at some of our favorite local boutiques.Photos by Kim Lucian
Winter came late this year, but that doesn't mean we're delaying the itch to wear more color and to bare more skin. We're already noticing a smattering of floral prints and pastels on the sidewalks around town. But before you invest in that wardrobe overhaul, take some cues from our local shop owners, who best know the Bay Area style forecast. Azalea in Hayes Valley is a perennial fave for the gal who works downtown and also hits the festivals. "The store receives new stock every week so it's a great source for finding on-trend outfits," store owner Catherine Chow tells us. And manager Brittany Ridge is calling for prints, crop tops, tie-dye/shibori, and the ear party for the sunnier days ahead. Click through our Polyvore set and the gallery for her top spring picks.
- Obey cropped red jacket, $94. "This cropped jacket is the perfect length—not too cropped—to wear with high-waisted pants," Ridge said. "It's a fun, easy, effortless addition to the simple luxury basics that SF women like to wear."
- Finders Keepers high-waisted pants, $163. "I love the Australian brand Finders Keepers—especially for the hand-printed pieces that are exclusive to the brand. This mirrored floral print feels almost Hawaiian, which is in for this spring. Also, the high wa
- Evil Twin dress, $83. "This shirt-dress can be worn as a dress or as a tunic over black leather leggings. It's a little shorter in the front and the print is like a snakeskin cathedral. It's a great transition piece to wear from the end of winter into ear
- "Other trends we're expecting to be in the store in a few weeks are matching sets in loud prints, jumpsuits, pastel pinks, and shift dresses."
- "I think we'll also sell a lot of novelty outerwear, '90s sports pleather, mesh, and track pants."
- "The socks with platform shoes trend will be back this year."
- "Accessories-wise, this spring it's going to be all about the 'ear party.'"
- "We'll have the Celine for Vans slip-ons again. And Birkenstock-esque sandals at an accessible price point."
· All Spring Forward 2014 posts [Racked SF]