Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Big Sur, photo via Post Ranch Inn
- Coast Ridge Outfitters at Fernwood, 47200 Hwy 1 Big Sur—Even if you’re not camping in Big Sur, the environs can be a bit rustic. If you find yourself in need of a trail map, charcoal for the grill, sunscreen or a sweatshirt for cool evenings, Coast
- Ventana Inn Gallery, 48123 California 1, Big Sur—Unlike Post Ranch across the street, the Ventana Inn allows looky-loos on the premises for a little shopping (or dinner, we recommend reservations). Look for paint
- Post Ranch Inn Mercantile—If you’re feeling the $2,000 rate for a night’s stay at the Post Ranch Inn, you can get the next best thing buy purchasing accoutrements used by the Inn at Post Ranch Mercantile
- Phoenix at Nepenthe, 48510 California 1, Big Sur—Nepenthe is legendary for its delicious food and breathtaking (really) views—but its Phoenix gift shop is worth a trip in itself for beautiful things y
- Henry Miller Memorial Library, 48603 California 1, Big Sur—The name of the next stop on our day trip is a bit misleading because the Henry Miller Memorial Library is not really a library. It’s actually a bo
- New Camaldoli Hermitage, 62475 State Highway 1, Big Sur—This monastery is a little off the beaten path of Route 1, but their fruitcake is worth the trip. We swear. It's brandy-dipped an delicious, despite the doubts we know you're feeling. Pick up
We know, Big Sur is much better known for it's natural beauty than for its shopping. But it's such a magical place that it would be shame to bring something home to remember your time there. With the normcore and dressing down trend going strong at the moment, you're sure to find some Big Sur logo items to pair with your baggy, shredded Levi's. Or if you're more into the finer things in life, the jewelry and art selections are unparalleled. We've arranged your stops from north to south—Big Sur is a small place, just keep an eye out the window and you can't miss each of these stops as you wind down Route 1.
All Travel Posts [Racked SF]