Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Image via Shutterstock.
- If you only have room for one item in your evening bag, you know you will choose your lipstick. MAC options are great for an evening out because the tubes are small. For a dramatic, suits-everyone red, try MAC's
- Lip tint and cheek tint in one small package, theBalm's Stainiac ($17) is a do-it-all that will see you through a night out.
- Boscia blotting linens ($10) are ideal for on-the-go shine control. The fibers absorb oil and perspiration, leaving you with matte finish makeup. The credit-card sized package is flat,
- If you battle oily skin, try the Peter Thomas Roth instant mineral powder, ($30). The transparent, oil-free powder comes with a retractable brush applicator, so i
- Benefit's Fakeup ($8 for the mini) is a hydrating, crease-control concealer that you'll appreciate after a few hours on the dance floor. It's available in a deluxe sample size
- If you have to pack an eyeshadow for a night out, the Clinique Chubby Stick, ($17) is a solid bet. No brush necessary, this creamy shadow is perfect for mid-party
Packing a clutch is the hardest part of getting ready for a night out. How are you supposed to cram the stuff you need —phone, keys, cash, and credit card— along with the stuff you might want —aspirin, hair pins, and makeup— in the teensiest of teensy purses? The phone is non-negotiable. Extra keys can come off the ring. Aspirin transitions from the bottle into plastic wrap. But the makeup? That requires downsizing. To help you get through the hard decisions, we've rounded up a collection of petite products that can get you through a beauty pinch whether you're partying at a swanky soiree or your best friend's wedding.