Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Make 2015 about new and exciting workouts; photo via Sweat Republic/Instagram
- The Surfset workout at Sweat Republic uses these stationery surfboards that simulate the movements of actual surfing. You'll use arm muscles for pushing up and your legs and core for maintaini
- Another fun way to burn the calories away is to dance them right off. The Dirty Pop dance class at Studiomix is intense cardio rolled into dance routines worthy of Beyonce's stage. Unlimited classes
- Krav Maga may have its origins in self-defense and the Israeli military, but it doubles as an empowering, full-body workout. Learn some tactics while shedding the weight at the Krav Maga Institu
- Another fighting tactic turned workout is boxing, and no gym does it better than Polk Street Boxing Gym. Classes are social and interactive, making these workout sessions feel like play. Gym m
- If you're looking for a more refined option then check out Informed Technique at Informed Body. The workout combines dance and ballet techniques with Pilates, all on a custom built suspension sys
- You haven't really lived if you haven't done yoga on a stand-up paddleboard in the middle of the Bay—even better during the freezing cold winter months. (Think of it as more incentive to not fall!) Give the wacky workout a try with
Every year is a new opportunity to make a resolution to get in shape, but too often the numbers on the scale refuse to change. Maybe it's time to admit you're in a fitness rut. Don't despair—the solution is within reach. All you need is a new kind of workout to capture your attention and snap you back into the game. Pilates, bootcamp, and spin classes are all fine and dandy, but try surfing indoors or beating your friend to a pulp (not literally) to feel invigorated and inspired to move again. Rotate through this list of local workouts over the next twelve months and feel sweet victory come NYE 2015.
· Feel The Burn [Racked SF]