Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- The contenders in Knives 2015. All images courtesy of Fiat Lux.
- Daydreamin'. One day you’ll be in the ditch, flies buzzin around your eyes, so sings the Bard. Sterling silver fold out hand engraved front & back, both sides of the blade hand etched with a quote and carved brass accents.
- Maori Spear. A sterling silver Maori Spear studded with two diamonds on a hinged hilt made from 18k yellow gold peppered with little diamonds – held between the fingers for maximum damage.
- Persian Suicide. If there’s a way to die by your own hand, this is it. Hand engraved sterling silver with rubies in a peppered rose gold hilt and 18k yellow gold accents.
- Pira Blade. A Warrior Pira, whose handle is a hand clutching a snake with diamond eyes, hand carved from brass, blackened then engraved. And, yes, that’s a nickel.
- San Quentin Shiv. On one side a reaper’s coming, hand engraved into a bronze hilt with two black diamond eyes, on the other a Masonic totem. With a persian style blade fabricated from an old jeweler’s file and cast in place.
- Serpent bracelet. A heavy brass viper bracelet whose hilt is the snake’s head, hiding a thin curved steel scepter inside his body.
- Space Odyssey. Inlay onyx & quartz over mother of pearl and a small, sharp steel blade. Shimmers, like that knife you take with you when you & Bowie blast off into space.
Fiat Lux is taking an unusual approach to Valentine's Day this year with a bejeweled knife contest. As part of the store's Annual Makers Competition, designers Nick Potash, Lauren Wolf, Elizabeth Street, Digby & Iona, Daisy San Luis, Mother of Gideon, and the home team at Fiat Lux have created handmade knives worth $1,250 each. According to the good folks at the teensy Castro jewelry shop, "This is how Fiat Lux does Valentine's Day. No candy hearts. No cutesy. No hokey-ass love shit. Just bad-ass, radical knives."
Starting Wednesday, you can help pick the winner of the knife design competition and enter for a chance to win the most popular knife. From February 11th to 13th, vote on which knife you think is best. Your vote gets you one free entry into the raffle. You can also earn a raffle ticket with your Fiat Lux purchases between now and Friday. When you make a purchase, you'll get one ticket for purchases over $50, two tickets from purchases between $150 and $400, and three tickets for purchases over $400. You can have a total 4 entries in the raffle.
All of the designers will be on hand to chat about the knives in a totally non-threatening way during a special My Bloody Valentine party on Friday, February 13th, so don't forget to drop by the party at The Office above Churchill (194 Church Street) to dish on all the cutlery.